Saturday, September 13, 2008

Crazy day in India

I went shopping today with my boss, Karim, and my collegue, Hema who kindly drove us all over downtown Hyderabad. Traffic is NUTS. I saw a family of 5 on a Vespa: Dad driving, 2 kids behind him, mom riding in back with a 3 year old asleep in her arms. I shopped next to women wearing Burkas. The crowds are incredible, I can't even describe the way they drive. Everyone was very interested in me, lots of staring, but overall very polite. We had dinner at Hema's house, his wife cooked for us, it was a really nice time.


While we were on our way to Hema's house, we learned that there were bombings in Dehli, and were happy we were heading out of the market area.



Tomorrow is the Ganesha Festival when thousands of people will take to the streets to submerge the Ganesha idols in the lakes. In light of the blasts, we've decided to stay inside the hotel tomorrow & not go out. The TV news is full of the story. For reference, New Delhi is 1,500 miles away from where I am. Monday I will only be going between the hotel & office (half a mile distance, and 30 minutes from the crowded city center/market areas). Tuesday, I'll be in the office until around 2:00 and then on the way to the airport.


Here's a picture of a Ganesha idol I saw on the way home. I'll be glad to get home next week.





Love to you all!


Stace

No comments: