Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Babies

Getting ready for bed tonight I sang the girls a song, and Sophie started to sing along. I told her I liked it, and that I didn't hear enough baby singing in our house.

Yes, they are 7 years old and we still refer to them as "babies." Yes, I know they are not babies. But they're still my babies even if they're not technically babies, right? Plus, how many of you got to refer to your "babies," plural? Out of my 6 loyal readers, I think none of you. Come on though, look at these faces. This is how I think of them, and probably always will. My babies.
Year1061
Man, they were round weren't they? No wonder people used to remark "Those babies never miss a meal!"   

I always liked saying "babies," plural.  "I have to get home to my babies."  "Gotta go, I have to feed the babies." "Have to take the babies to the doctor." I always really liked that. It made people think. Just like when someone I don't know well, asks how old my children are, and I say "seven." Without fail, they look at me, pausing patiently, waiting for me to give them another age.  They either get it pretty quickly and say, "Oh, you have twins?" or they look at me blankly and never get it.

It's almost as good as when the babies (see, there I go again) were born and I sent out links to the newborn pictures to friends.  One (don't worry, I'm not naming names) wrote back with an obligatory, "Your baby is adorable, congratulations!" So I wrote him back and asked him which of my twins he thought was cute.

Anyway, we've asked the girls if they mind that we still call them "the babies," and they don't mind. For now at least.  I'll take that for as long as I can. And I'll keep thinking of them like this, in their "let's line up all the toys" phase.
OMG How cute are my girls?
I was a little worried about them having OCD, but it seems to have passed.  I  couldn't get them to line anything up neatly now, no matter how I bribed them.

So, back to getting ready for bed. Laura and I sing, but the girls don't sing much. I don't know why.

But tonight Sophie said, "Sometimes I sing at recess when I can't decide who to play with."

"You do?" I asked.

"Yeah, like when I promised Dorian I would play Star Wars with him. And I promised Spencer I would play tigers with him. And I promised Jordan and Zoe I would play Werewolves with them...I have so many friends, and I just can't decide who to play with, so I walk around and sing."

Well now, what a conundrum.  What a problem to have at 7 years old - so many friends to play with you can't decide who to join! I hope she always has such problems! 

But about the wandering around the playground singing to herself...if that keeps up till middle school it will probably take care of the problem of having too many kids to play with!
IMG_6332
I love you Soph - sing away!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute!
I always wanted twins.... , but glad Jordan has
great twin friends

Stacey said...

Thanks Janeen! :) The girls are happy to have Jordan as a buddy too!