Monday, January 19, 2009

Thank you Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.


I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

I believe that tomorrow's inauguration of Barak Obama as the 44th President of the United States of America is evidence that we are living Dr. King's dream. Not in all places, at all times, and in all instances, and there is progress to be made, certainly. But in the 45 years since Dr. King spoke those words, what a remarkable change. Barak Obama's parents couldn't get married in 19 states when Dr. King spoke those words. Tomorrow he will be the President of our nation.   This revolution is due in large part to Dr. King's actions, words, and dedicated life, and to those he inspired to continue his work.  So for that, thank you Dr. King, thank you. 

Now, how long before gays and lesbians can get married in all 50 states? How much longer after that before a gay man or lesbian woman is in the White House? I expect to see the first in my lifetime, but I don't know about the second. Will my children see that milestone?

I have a dream that all grown gay and lesbian children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by who they love, but by the content of their character. 
And I hope that the nation is the USA.

No comments: