Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I'm a total geek

Today's post is about blogging, and what a geek I am.  I fully admit it.  I embrace my inner geek. If you don't believe me, read on.  

The two most exciting things I read today are 1) how to make an animated label cloud for this here blog, and how Drobo works.  I realize most of your eyes just rolled back in your heads just now.  Well maybe except Dad's (Hi Dad!).  Sorry to geek out, but I have to share what I found.  

First, I found this description on Blogger Buster of how to make the "label cloud" on my blog animated, and interactive.  What is a label cloud you ask? Scroll down in my blog, check out down the right hand side.  Not all the way down, about half way.  Go ahead, I'll wait.  See it? Down there below the Tweets and the Archieves? The Tag Cloud - the thing that's spinning around. It wasn't spinning yesterday.  Today it is.  Cool huh?  Frankly I don't know the coding magic behind it, I just followed Amanda's instructions on how to modify the Widget, and voila, animated label cloud.  Sweet.

What's the label cloud for anyway, you ask? Good question. Hover over it, give a spin, find a word you like and click on it, and it will display all of my posts on that topic.  For instance if you click on India, you'll find all my posts from my trip last year.  Or click on Tooth Fairy and find waaaaay too many pictures of kids' missing teeth. The only difference now is you have to catch the label in the spinning cloud.  Trying to keep things interesting for you.  You're welcome.

Second, I've been considering photo back up options for a long time now.  (Well, if I must admit it, ever since I had that catastrophic hard drive failure a few years back, but we don't talk about that.)  I have an external hard drive and daily, weekly and monthly automated back ups (Hi again Dad - thanks for the external drive!).  But, and here's the thing, the hard drive on our mac and the external drive are filling up. They're not full yet - but with the rate we I take pictures, I can see this happening before too long.  So once they're both full, then what? More external hard drives? How many more? And what about off site storage?  The external drive will protect against my computer failing, but what if....the office floods, or something?  Offsite storage is the key, right?  Keep a monthly back up in another location.  But that's hard too, you can't back everything up to DVD, besides DVD media is not full proof. I've been uploading photos to Flickr too, that's somewhat of a backup, but I'm certainly not going to load EVERY picture there.  

So, I was really excited to read this post about how a prolific photographer, blogger, and geek handles his photos, back ups, and is planning for offsite archival as well.  It's all about the Drobo baby.  While I'm not excited about the prices, I agree that photos are literally price-less, so perhaps should just cough up some dough? This Drobo back up thing seems pretty slick, easy to use, easy to expand, and can be extended with an offsite version too. Pricy though.

As they say, there are 2 types of people, those who have lost data, and those who will...which do you want to be? Hmmm, I'll let you know what I decide.

No comments: