Thursday, February 26, 2009

First Dances

I'm sorry for the poor sound quality of this video, but I couldn't bring myself to dub over it with better quality song, or you'd miss the fine rhythm displayed here. Ah, my dancing beauties - they've got some moves, huh? 

How is it that my tiny babies are old enough to be dancing at a school dance? I'm still stumped by this.  What's up with dances in elementary school anyway?  I never went to a dance in elementary school.  Junior high marked my entry into the awkwardness that is school dances. When did they move them back to grade school??  

The first time I remember really getting into a "dance" wasn't at school at all, it was going roller skating at the local roller rink.  Roller Disco Skating that is. Rod Stewart  - Do you think I'm sexy?, anything by the Bee Gees, Saturday Night by the Bay City Rollers - those were the fine songs we skated to.  This was about a year before I discovered LA's growing punk & new wave scene on the radio and traded in all my Shaun Cassidy records for Wall of Voodoo, Missing Persons, the Go Go's, Police and David Bowie.  But before all that, I loved roller disco! I had my own skates - made from Nike tennis shoes, and skated many junior-high Saturday nights away.  

Wow just writing about this reminds me....I'm sure you remember the musical masterpiece by Olivia Newton John and ELO, Xanadu? (Yes, I did have that album too.  And I watched the movie way more times than I'd like to admit.  I'd like to think it was just because I thought Olivia Newton John was hot though, not because I was a total dork.  In reality I'm sure it was a bit of both.)  I'm pretty sure there are no pictures of me dressed for these skating evenings, and that is as it should be, because I'm certain that either leg warmers or suspenders (or both?? oh lord, please let there be no pictures!) were probably involved.   But in case you've forgotten the glory of the 1980 roller disco mania, enjoy a refresher.  Imagine, me, dressed as Olivia in the video (yeah, right).

 You have to admit, Olivia Newton John was hot.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

that is hilarious! i bet there are more kids dancing at that dance than any dance i attended in junior high! we seemed to sit around and giggle more than anything. that and we went to the bathroom to check ourselves out a lot! that being said...why in the world do they have dances in elementary school? seriously! i have never heard of such a thing! they do look like they're having fun though!