Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween Cake Recipe #3 - Pumpkin!

No where near as cool as the kitty litter cake, but this will serve for any standard Halloween event.  We're going to make this guy.
IMG_8063

First, make 2 bundt cakes, box variety is fine of course! It's even OK if you need to borrow a bundt pan (thanks Debbie!), because, seriously who has two of those? And who wants to bake 2 cakes in a row in one pan? I know I don't have that kind of time.
After they cool, place one upside down on a cake plate, like so.
IMG_8057

Dump your frosting in a bowl and tint it bright orange, then frost the top of the first bundt.
IMG_8058
Put the second bundt on the first, right side up this time.
IMG_8059

Keep sneaky 7-year-olds away from the frosting. That smile? That smile says, "come on...just one spoonful?"
IMG_8060
Frost the whole thing, being sure to pull stripes down the side. You, know, pumpkin-like. Dump some more frosting in a small bowl and tint it green. Take a paper cup and put it over one hand, and frost the cup. I squished it a bit at the top to make it look less like a cup, and more like a stem. I highly recommend you use a stiff frosting for this. I choose "Fluffy White" (what the heck is that anyway??) and it was much too soft and runny to make this cake perfectly. Choose or make a stiffer frosting.

Where was I? Oh yeah, frost the "stem". I put 4 toothpicks inside the opening of the bundt cake at the top to support the cup, then place it inside the hole.
IMG_8061

Last step, use some black icing to draw the face. I also added candy corns for teeth, which I liked, but the frosting wasn't stiff enough to support them, so I ended up having to remove them. Either way, it's a nice halloween cake. Happy Halloween!
IMG_8062

No comments: